[Wikipedia-l] Feature request (was: RE: Please list the IP address when deleting)

Daniel Mayer maveric149 at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 30 18:55:34 UTC 2002

On Wednesday 30 October 2002 04:00 am, wikipedia-l-request at wikipedia.org
wrote:
> If you're referring to the junk edits to Sukarno, Suharto, Adolf Hitler,
> etc; those came from various IPs, mostly from what looks like a school
> or library in Ohio (probably public machines or a cache/proxy); banning
> wouldn't help much.
>
> Suharto - 156.63.200.159
> Sukarno - 156.63.200.159, 156.63.205.5
> Image talk:Hitler.jpg - 156.63.205.5
> Talk:Hafez al-Assad - 198.234.102.59
> Hitler: The Last Ten Days - 156.63.205.5
>
> 156.63.205.5 and 198.234.102.59 also each vandalised Adolf Hitler once;
> both were quickly reverted.
>
> You'll notice that after cleaning the first batch, I added the IP in the
> deletion notice for "Hitler: The Last Ten Days". You'll also notice no
> further activity from these IPs, though no ban is in place.
>
> -- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)

Speaking of which, would it be possible to have the software run a traceroute
to find out this type of information and have it available via a single click
on the blocked IP page? I'm sure there are several blocked public computers
on the list that should have only been blocked for a couple of days at most.

We should make it easy for Admins to review this stuff instead of relying on
them to each periodically run traceroutes on their own. I for one am lazy and
rarely bother. I would, however click on a link to computer generated
traceroute report and read it.

-- Daniel Mayer (aka mav)