[Wikipedia-l] No voting? Then what?

Jeroen Heijmans J.Heijmans at stud.tue.nl
Sun Oct 27 07:29:38 UTC 2002

I've not really been following the "international" debate, but I read most of the recent stuff about
voting. Some Wikipedians, notably Cunctator, seem to think that "voting is evil", and link to some
wiki about meatballs for some arguments.

So, suppose voting is evil. Then how do we make decisions? Because with the current number of
members on this list, there's never going to be something like consensus. Endless discussions are
tiring and getting us nowhere. Already we are getting loads of e-mail about one single topic like
internationalisation; imagine how it would be with even more Wikipedians and, hence, mailing
members? That would be terrible, and I would probably not even attempt anymore to follow any
discussion after the first few reactions. The discussion will die without any solution or will
continue endlessly. That's not a desirable situation. Voting could end discussions. But "voting is
evil", so what to do then?

Jeronimo