[Wikipedia-l] 80,000

Brion VIBBER brion at pobox.com
Sun Oct 27 06:15:35 UTC 2002

Toby Bartels wrote:
> Gareth Owen wrote:
>>The Cunctator <cunctator at kband.com> wrote:
>>>How do they clutter the "worthwhile" entries? Wikipedia is not paper.
>>RandomPages
>
> An idea:
> Can Randompage weight the articles that it picks by their length?
> This will make *any* stub less likely to be chosen,
> arguably without giving a distorted picture of what Wikipedia is like.

The Ram-bot city entries average somewhere around 2130 bytes each
(standard deviation 113), which is *larger* than the English
Wikipedia-wide average for article-space non-redirect pages (about 1900
bytes, standard deviation a whopping 3028).

As I recall, the median article size is smaller than the average; if you
could cut out the Ram-bot cities by size, you'd cut out most of the rest
of Wikipedia with them.

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)