[Wikipedia-l] Re: voting on www.wikipedia.org

Toby Bartels toby+wikipedia at math.ucr.edu
Sun Oct 27 03:59:38 UTC 2002

[Note:  The post that I'm replying to wasn't sent to <intlwiki-l>.]

Mav wrote:

>www.wikipedia.org should:

>[] not be changed at all.

>[] redirect depending on the browser's language setting to the wikipedia
>in the prefered language.

>[x] be a multilingual portal (1)

>[x] other:This should be done only /after/ all languages are on the same
>database. IMO a static portal page is a very bad idea. We are a wiki and a
>static page is very unwiki. The frontend should also reflect the backend.
>Right now there are a bunch of separate Wikipedia wikis. At the /very/ least,
>all the current active language wikis should be upgraded to Phase III - then
>at least we will be interlinked with lanuguage links.

Now that it's been established that this is a survey, not a decision vote,
I'll join in and vote for the multilinguagl portal, among these choices.
But I've already said that Neil's mixture of the two changes is a good idea.
*And* I agree with mav that it's more important to integrate the back end.
OTOH, I disagree with mav's claim that an integrated front end is useless
until the back end is integrated -- it's just *less* useful IMO.

-- Toby