[Wikipedia-l] 80,000

Poor, Edmund W Edmund.W.Poor at abc.com
Fri Oct 25 23:08:55 UTC 2002

I don't think we should count as "articles" any page that was generated by a script. Okay, if someone (i.e., a human contributor) edits such a page, even slightly, we can count it. But as of now I am entirely discounting our "working on X number of articles" blurb. It should say that we wrote Y articles and ran a SQL script to generated Z articles for a total of T. Or better yet, just say we wrote Y articles.

Either delete Ram-Man's crap or be honest about it. (Darn it, I'm starting to sound as curmudgeonly as Cunctator and LDC. Must be due to seeing a gray hair in the mirror the other day.)

Or why can't the SQL script serve up a page on request? That is, when the reader clicks on the link (or enters the URL):
* If there is no "real" page already there, run the script, generate the page, and show it to the user. If they click on edit, let them edit the script results; and if they click save, then save the article with the REAL_PAGE flag set to TRUE.
* If there is already a "real" page there, return that page as usual.

Ed Poor