[Wikipedia-l] Demo front page

Neil Harris usenet at tonal.clara.co.uk
Fri Oct 25 21:38:35 UTC 2002

elian wrote:

 >Hi Magnus,
 >
 >Magnus Manske <magnus.manske at epost.de> writes:
 >

 >>I merged my little script with the fine layout from the other
 >>page. Please try again
 >>    http://mitglied.lycos.de/manske/wiki/test.php    (Sorry for the
 >>banner, I can't help it)
 >>

 >I would suggest to emphasize the language wikipedia preferred by the
 >browser simply by coloring the link in a nice, dark red instead of the
 >green of the other ones, no table border. Maybe add also an <hr>-tag
 >between introduction and language section.
 >
 >Meanwhile I updated http://www.djini.de/Uploads/wikipedia/wikipedia2.html
 >(stylesheet also updated) to show the "working"-sentences in italic, I
 >think this is better.
 >
 >greetings,
 >elian

Elian,

That's a ''really'' nice design for the multi-lingual-portal page.
However, I suggest that page should not be the front page
http://www.wikipedia.org/, which I think should be consist of

* a thin welcome banner with links pointing to the multi-lingual-portal
page (eg http://www.wikipedia.org/index1.html) and the multi-lingual
Wikipedia foundation page.
* a drop-down language-selection menu
* a search bar
AND MOST IMPORTANTLY:
* the front page content of the localised Wikipedia of the user's or
browser's choice, as per my previous comments

-- Neil