[Wikipedia-l] 80,000

Karen AKA Kajikit kaji at labyrinth.net.au
Fri Oct 25 11:59:56 UTC 2002

tarquin wrote:

> The Cunctator wrote:
>
> >By the way, with Ram-Man's automatic article addition, we've just hit 80.000 English entries
>
> Yes. We're big like a telephone directory is big.
> Please let's not celebrate this milestone.
> When we got to 50k articles we were saying "but so many are stubs", and we're in a worse situation now, as I don't see how we can exclude these town pages from article counts.
> They really are stubs, maybe not in terms of length but in terms of content and usefulness.
>
> It's not that I don't care about one-horse US towns (well, okay, I don't) but I feel the entire Wikipedia has tilted.
> We shouldn't delete them, but to balance we should maybe work on, say, adding 10,000 articles to the Tree of Life project?

It's seriously tipped the balance of the wikipedia. Five times out of
ten hitting the 'random' button takes me to one of these new entries...
I'm sure they're very useful if you need to find information on 'Dead
Horse, Arizona', but they're not very relevant in the grand scheme of
things. I'll be glad once they're all in and the recent changes menu can
return to usefulness. Out of curiosity, what existing entries are these
new articles linked to?

--

Karen AKA Kajikit

To err is human... to really foul things up add kitten and stir.

Come and visit my part of the web:
Kajikit's Corner: http://Kajikit.netfirms.com/
Allergyfree Eating Recipe Swap: