[Wikipedia-l] I'm seeing a trend here or How to keep drivingaway good contributors

The Cunctator cunctator at kband.com
Thu Oct 24 22:31:32 UTC 2002

See http://www.usemod.com/cgi-bin/mb.pl?HardSecurity . Note the first link.

> People enforcing social norms by quickly reverting the work of vandals
> and antisocial jerks is SoftSecurity, if those people are organized and
> empowered with social authority that makes no difference, except now it
> may seem reasonable to some folks to call that group a "police force" --
> which BTW is not Ed's term, but yours.

I hardly implied it wasn't. It is the case organization and empowerment with
social authority make only a limited difference from self-organization.
However, that is not what Ed said. He was discussing granting special powers
to a group of people differentiated not by social authority but by the law
of the code (admins).

I just want to make clear that I too very much want to find solutions to the
problems we have with recalcitrants. Our best approach is to figure out ways
to make the problems disappear, not ways to fight them.