[Wikipedia-l] [Intlwiki-l] www.wikipedia.org design

Toby Bartels toby+wikipedia at math.ucr.edu
Thu Oct 24 19:00:27 UTC 2002

The Cunctator wrote in part:
>Jimmy Wales wrote:
>>The Cunctator wrote:

>>>Changing the front page into something like this is a profoundly bad idea.

>>What are your specific objections?

>3. This kind of page promotes the view that Wikipedia is a coalition of
>largely distinct projects, balkanized by language (and implicitly branded by
>nationality). I think this is very much the wrong approach.

OTC, this is what the current system does.
An international <www.*> is primarily being advanced
to fix precisely this problem.

>Just because something can be done without coding doesn't mean it's a good
>idea.

Actually, it *can't* be done without coding.
Specifically, elian's suggestion can't be done without coding,
which is why mav is right to say that we need to get
an integrated Phase IV software (PediaWiki 4.0),
allowing integrated Recentchanges, integrated searches, etc.

-- Toby