[Wikipedia-l] Lir and Christopher Columbus

lcrocker at nupedia.com lcrocker at nupedia.com
Tue Oct 22 16:41:57 UTC 2002

> I read all Lir's talk page comments. Nothing anti-Wikipedia
> there. She says Columbus was a slave-trader, and she won't
> shut up about it; well, as I suppose LDC would agree, we have
> free speech on the talk pages...

Absolutely. If Lir's actions took place /only/ on talk pages
there'd be no problem, even with the rudeness--talk is just
talk, and doesn't hurt anything.  The problem is that she
insists on editing the real encyclopedia pages /her/ way or
no way, and utterly refuses to listen to anything anyone else
has to say on the matter.  She's /right/ dammit, and simply
won't countenance any disagreement.

No one argues that Columbus traded slaves--that's well known,
and it was already covered in the article from day one.  But
that's not good enough for Lir--she insists that calling him an
explorer in the first paragraph is /wrong/, and refuses to hear
all the arguments for that.  She also seems to think that stating
her opinion on the naming issue 20 times makes a consensus even
though it's already been decided long ago.

As Far as Lir is concerned, all of the other Wikipedians don't
exist; they are all inferior minds not worth listening to,
because she and only she has the received wisdom, and silly
little things like PhDs don't matter.  The attitude is not a
problem--arrogance can be quite constructive sometimes.  But
hte fact that she continues to /act/ on that attitude in the
encyclopedia pages is a problem.

I am gratified that she's now on the list, but even here you
can see that she simply refuses to admit being wrong about
anything.