[Wikipedia-l] Mispeelings

tarquin tarquin at planetunreal.com
Tue Oct 22 15:07:11 UTC 2002

Toby Bartels wrote:

>>>So we're at the point now where it's been suggested
>>>to remove a word ("it's") entirely from Wikipedia
>>>because it's difficult to tell when it's misspelled?
>>>This is far more zealous than we need to be.
>>>Correct them when you find them, but don't go overboard --
>>>they're just mispeelings!

Sheesh. Yet another minor issue that blows out of all proportion -- can
we drop it now?
If I were going on a hunt for incorrect uses of "it's", correcting most
to "its" or "it is" has the advantage of shortening the next list of
search results.
I certainly wasn't suggesting changing "it's a long way to tipperary".
I can't speak for AmEnglish, but in BrEnglish, a contraction such as
"it's" is considered a little too informal for a work such as an
encyclopedia or a dictionary.

Perhaps it was UK-centric of me to assume that that holds in AmEng too,
in which case I apologize (but note that many US wikipedians could do
with a healthy dose of culture shock to shake a few us-centric attitudes.)