[Wikipedia-l] Lir and Christopher Columbus

Jimmy Wales jwales at bomis.com
Tue Oct 22 15:02:21 UTC 2002

Sean Barrett wrote:
> Does anyone have a strong objection to banning Lir for an hour or so, to
> let him cool off?

I'm a little late to weigh in on this, but my personal mode of conduct
is that instead of banning someone to let them cool off, I should let
them have their way for an hour to let them cool off.  Just come back
to the article tomorrow or the next day and fix it.  Probably he won't
feel as emotional about it then -- and neither will I.

Banning, even for an hour, should be reserved for pure vandalism.
Disagreements about content seldom rise to that level.

--Jimbo