[Wikipedia-l] Re: Lir and Christopher Columbus

Tom Parmenter tompar at world.std.com
Tue Oct 22 13:50:50 UTC 2002

|From: Daniel Mayer <maveric149 at yahoo.com>
|Sender: wikipedia-l-admin at nupedia.com
|Date: Mon, 21 Oct 2002 15:46:03 -0700
|
|On Monday 21 October 2002 03:17 pm, Ortolan88 wrote:
|> I'll suggest this again.  Banning a contributor forces some authority
|> figure to decide who is right and wrong.  Why not freeze the topic
|> instead?
|
|But then which version gets frozen? Choosing one over the other is taking
|sides so that shouldn't be a reason why a page gets frozen. Page freezing
|should only be done when somebody is trying to hijack a page and therefore
|starts an edit war - which IMO is a form of highly-directed vandalism that
|saps user recourses. But this should only be uses as a last resort.

I would freeze the last version before the edit wars started and
include a clear statement that the topic was frozen but could be
discussed on the talk page (or, if the talk page was also frozen, on
the Metawiki).  In the worst cases, some neutral party could draft a
standin article while the storm raged elsewhere.

There are never more than a half dozen of these hot topics at one
time, maybe no more than two or three, and it could only help to
provide a way to mediate these discussions without driving people
away.  (See next mail from me.)

Tom P.
O88

|>There is no hurry to complete any topic, but edit wars are
|> fueled by adrenaline and adrenaline doesn't last.
|
|I agree. We would have to change some wording on the Main Page that would make
|us look not as open though....

|-- Daniel Mayer (aka mav)