[Wikipedia-l] map namespace?

Lars Aronsson lars at aronsson.se
Tue Oct 22 12:28:44 UTC 2002

Brion VIBBER wrote:
> I dug around some more; the software Caltrop has been using is GMT
> (Generic Map Tools; http://gmt.soest.hawaii.edu/) via the on-line map
> creator at http://www.aquarius.geomar.de/omc/omc_intro.html

Yes, that's the one that generates the dead ugly blue and yellow maps
that are used in some Wikipedia pages.  It is free, but I consider it
useless.  The amount of information is very low and the mapping data
for Sweden totally sucks (lakes appear in the wrong place, etc.).
The fact that generating a map takes about a minute (so it cannot be
used as a real-time web service to save storage space) is a minor
deficiency in comparison.

--
  Lars Aronsson (lars at aronsson.se)
  tel +46-70-7891609