[Wikipedia-l] map namespace?

Lars Aronsson lars at aronsson.se
Tue Oct 22 05:51:22 UTC 2002

Magnus Manske wrote:

> For a country, city, region, river, lake, mountain etc. one would type,
> say, "[[map:1.2.3:4.5.6]]" to get a rectangular map. That would be
> generated by some free map service (there are some, though I don't
> remember any URL).

Please tell me when you remember the URL.  MapBlast used to provide
this service, but they closed it earlier this fall.

The syntax that I use on susning.nu is map:12.45:67.89:20000
where 12.45 is decimal degrees north, 67.89 is decimal degrees east
(or negative for south and west) for the center point of the map,
and 20000 indicates that one meter on the screen is 20000 meters
in the real world (assuming a standard 100 dpi screen).  That is the
syntax that MapBlast used to have in their CGI URL interface.

--
  Lars Aronsson (lars at aronsson.se)
  tel +46-70-7891609