[Wikipedia-l] Re: map namespace?

Daniel Mayer maveric149 at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 21 20:24:32 UTC 2002

On Monday 21 October 2002 12:01 pm, wikipedia-l-request at nupedia.com wrote:
> Would there be interest in/nned for a "map:" namespace which returns a
> map image of given coordinates?
>
> For a country, city, region, river, lake, mountain etc. one would type,
> say, "[[map:1.2.3:4.5.6]]" to get a rectangular map. That would be
> generated by some free map service (there are some, though I don't
> remember any URL).
> That would avoid the copy'n'paste action of current maps on wikipedia,
> and save disk space ;-)
>
> I thought I'd better ask before I try implementing...
>
> Magnus

This might be interesting -- but disk space is cheap. What would be far
interesting and useful IMO would be to allow image maps.

I've been holding off on creating locator maps for the element articles
because much of the feedback I have received on it indicates that people
automatically click on the locator map and expect to go to the element they
clicked on - not the image description page. It would be nice to make one
image map template with the correct squares mapped to their correct elements
and then go from there.

Prototype with current "odd" image behavior:
http://www.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lithium

-- Daniel Mayer (aka mav)