[Wikipedia-l] Call for a vote (was: Moving the wikis)

Lightning lightning at chaos-productions.com
Fri Oct 18 02:32:52 UTC 2002

> Cookie, schmookie. I'm talking about the backend; if a login is to work
> painlessly across all languages, you have to create the account in the
> database(s) for all languages, keep the password consistent, etc. So
> either these other servers are dependent on a central user account /
> recentchanges server, or they are on the same server and use a common
> database in the first place.
>
> If the supposed benefit of having separate hostnames is that you can use
> separate servers, but we're doing things that mean the separate servers
> are dependant on a central server to function, the benefit seems rather
> weak indeed.

ahhh. yes, i get you know. I was thinking more about the universal login
that universal recent changes... an idea which I find odd. i mean, if all
the wiki's start getting big, you'd have to keep that page at 250 items and
reload every couple of seconds to see the recent changes, its hard enough
keeping up with them now.. and its only in english. Dont you guys think this
is more an admin/editor function than it is something usefull to people
coming to read something rather than write it?

Oh and i was kind of assuming when you meant separate servers that you
meant, a server per language for spitting pages (if it ever gets that big)
and maybe a couple of slave db servers for reads and a master db server for
changes.. using mySQL replication. maybe i got a bit ahead of myself.. so
dont mind me

Lightning