[Wikipedia-l] Maybe "portal page" was a poor choice of words

Axel Boldt axelboldt at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 18 00:41:06 UTC 2002

--- elian <elian at gmx.li> wrote:
> Axel Boldt <axelboldt at yahoo.com> writes:
>
> > > But what's the argument against our doing so properly,
> > > by looking at what the browser itself says is the preferred
> > > language?

> > I think this is the correct approach. The browser's language
> > preference decides which Wikipedia's main page they get. If
> > there is no Wikipedia in that language, or if they don't
> > specify a preference, they get English.
>
> So we continue our current procedure to hide the other language
> wikipedias from the user.

This is not our current procedure since the Wikipedia main pages all
prominently mention the other languages.

> And if my Spanish friends use my computer for surfing, they
> get German, too, even if they speak no German at all.

If they prefer Spanish they need to have the browser settings changed.
Wikipedia will be their least problem.

> Sorry, I can't see any additional value from such a front page.

I'm not proposing any front page. Just a mechanism that gives you the
main page that you are most likely interested in with one click less
than you need now.

Axel