[Wikipedia-l] Random page bug fix

Brion VIBBER brion at pobox.com
Fri Oct 18 00:03:05 UTC 2002

lcrocker at nupedia.com wrote:
>>I sent such a fix to wikitech-l yesterday...
>
> I applied your patch and recompiled and installed Apache
> on my server.

Great, thanks! I have enough trouble with Apache and PHP; I'm sure I'd
break it trying to add in the PHP cache too.

 >  I changed my httpd.conf to add this:
>
>  RewriteRule ^/wiki/(.*)$ /wikitest/wiki.phtml?title=$1 [NE]

Take out the above line; that overrides the one below which does the
magic. And I think you first have to define the map; this should do:

   RewriteMap ampescape int:ampescape

>  RewriteRule ^/wiki/(.*)$ /wikitest/wiki.phtml?title=${ampescape:$1} [L]
>  RewriteRule ^/wikitest/wiki.phtml(.*) /wikitest/wiki.phtml$1
>  RewriteRule ^/wiki$ /wikitest/wiki.phtml
>  RewriteRule ^/wiki.phtml/(.*)$ /wikitest/wiki.phtml/$1 [NE]
>  RewriteRule ^/wiki.phtml$ /wikitest/wiki.phtml
>
> Using http://www.piclab.com/wiki works, so I know that rewriting
> is turned on.  I updated the code from CVS.  But I don't know
> whether or not it is doing what you expect.  Can you please test
> it?

If it's working, you should end up at [[AT&T]] for the following URLs:
   http://www.piclab.com/wiki/AT&T
   http://www.piclab.com/wiki/AT%26T
   http://www.piclab.com/wiki/AT%2526T
   http://www.piclab.com/wikitest/wiki.phtml?title=AT%26T
   http://www.piclab.com/wikitest/wiki.phtml?title=AT%2526T

and at [[AT]] for this one:
   http://www.piclab.com/wikitest/wiki.phtml?title=AT&T

If it's not working, these will give you [[AT]] instead of [[AT&T]]:
   http://www.piclab.com/wiki/AT&T
   http://www.piclab.com/wiki/AT%26T

That seems to be the case presently.

>  If you've long since forgotten your login to my server,
> let me know).

I have a user login for the wiki, but I indeed seem to have forgotten
the login for the server.

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)