[Wikipedia-l] Call for a vote (was: Moving the wikis)

Brion VIBBER brion at pobox.com
Thu Oct 17 22:03:35 UTC 2002

Jimmy Wales wrote:
> I'm not even in favor of "redirecting" versus just "aliasing", just
> because it makes the browser do an extra step for no particular
> reason.  I'm not adamant about this point, though.  I would just say
> that it's best not to redirect.

I made redirects rather than aliases when going across hostnames to keep
the login cookies working. Remember the old furor over "I'm not logged
in when I go to http://www.wikipedia.com/ but I am when I look at other
pages"? It's much like that: it harms the user experience to have their
login cookie for www.wikipedia.org not work at wikipedia.com or for
nl.wikipedia.org not work at nl.wikipedia.com.

Extra bonus point: you see the preferred URL form in your browser's URL
bar after loading it up.

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)