[Wikipedia-l] Random page bug fix

lcrocker at nupedia.com lcrocker at nupedia.com
Thu Oct 17 19:14:17 UTC 2002

> I sent such a fix to wikitech-l yesterday, but since I believe
> LDC's the one who orignally set up Apache & co on the server I
> left it to him to recompile it with the same set of options plus
> the fix. If he doesn't do it soon, I may go ahead anyway.

Ah, I understand now; in fact, I just sent you mail asking
if that was in fact your intention (i.e., to recompile Apache
with your patch).  I'll do that on my server so we can test
it a bit.

>> 2.  Ban '&' from article titles to simplify our lives.  While it
>> is true that '&' is _legal_ in a url, there's no reason we have
>> to use it, other than usability for articles like 'AT&T'.

> That's cutting off your nose to spite your face.

I agree; "&" is far too useful to give up.  I wanted it enough
that I thought the original code's double-encoding scheme was
worth the hassle.  If Brion's latest fix can let us have our cake
and eat it too, so much the better.