[Wikipedia-l] Maybe "portal page" was a poor choice of words

Toby Bartels toby+wikipedia at math.ucr.edu
Thu Oct 17 16:44:23 UTC 2002

[Note:  Tarquin's post wasn't on <intlwiki-l>.]

Tarquin wrote:

>It has already been stated, and wisely so IMO, that grabbing language
>information from a browser's settings might not be a good idea.

It's been pointed out that it's very annoying
that Google makes a half hearted attempt to do this
that isn't correct and can't be overridden by the user.
But what's the argument against our doing so properly,
by looking at what the browser itself says is the preferred language?

-- Toby