[Wikipedia-l] Re: Wikipedia-l digest, Vol 1 #760 - 12 msgs

Matt M. matt_mcl at sympatico.ca
Thu Oct 17 11:35:36 UTC 2002

>But the situation is so muddled that writing guides simply ask
> writers to be consistent within their own works..  Translating
> "Français" as "french man" is acceptable, but I would prefer "French
> man" with a capital letter.

Buh? What style guides are you reading? I've read a few (my field is
proofreading and translation) and I have not ever come across one that
suggests that not capitalizing nationalities is acceptable. Names of
nationalities and languages are always capitalized. English capitalization
has got rules. Some of them can be bent - some cannot.

> Sexism doesn't enter into this at all.

Well, I wasn't really talking about sexism, but just pointing out that
different languages have different rules, and that Anthere shouldn't get too
exercised about an English speaker getting "français" and "Français" mixed
up by accident because they forgot the French rule.

> "Frenchman" in one word that
> does have associated difficulties, but attitudes are by no means
> unanimous on this.  The movement for non-sexist language does see it as
> sexist, but others of us would see the "a French person" as bringing
> unnecessary awkwardness to the language.  Those afflicted with political
> correctness often draw the false conclusion that those who do not follow
> their solutions for non-sexist must be speaking in a sexist way.  I
> certainly do not consider the word "frenchman" to be sexist.

You would be fine with calling a woman a Frenchman?

Matt