[Wikipedia-l] Re: Some answers with the "users'" point of view in mind.

koyaanisqatsi at nupedia.com koyaanisqatsi at nupedia.com
Thu Oct 17 05:05:50 UTC 2002

mav wrote:
>In our rush for the URL switch, it would have been a mistake just to put up a
>static page at www.wikipedia.org that merely directed users to each
>language's Main Page. IMO what really is needed is a combined Recent Changes
>at www.wikipedia.org. That way somebody landing at www.wikipedia.org can look
>to the top of their page, hit Recent Changes and see the last 100 edits made
>for the whole project (each language). Until that is possible, I don't think
>a gateway page will work at all.

This to me is a fascinating idea, and much more attractive than the portal as we proposed it.  You could see a streamlined Recent Changes page, showing only what changes were made to what article where, e.g.

    * [[Fig]] [English]; 01:11
    * [[Kommunismus]] [Deutsch]; 01:12
    * [[The Elephant Man]] [Français]; 01:12
    * [[PNG]] [Polski]; 01:13
    * [[Stephen Spielberg]] [Español]; 01:14
    * [[François Rabelais]] [English]; 01:14

It might be more enticing than a static portal page.

kq