[Wikipedia-l] Re: French

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Thu Oct 17 01:28:44 UTC 2002

Toby Bartels wrote:

>Anthere wrote in part:
>
>>Aprés un "-" ou tiret, les régles typographiques de
>>langue française indiquent que la minuscule est de
>>régle
>>
>>Par contre, aprés un numéro ou une lettre de
>>classification, majuscule:
>>
>You have specific *rules* for this sort of thing?
>So precise that it goes one way in one place and another in the other?
>Your Academy is insane!!!

*Some* French have a passion for language stylistics that is
incomprehensible to the anglophone community.  It is a far stronger
influence in French poetry than in English where we tend to become
obsessed with the requirement that poetry should mean something.  French
school teachers also have a passion for the "dictée" long after the need
for spelling tests has run its course.

Eclecticology