[Wikipedia-l] Put your text for the new page here

tarquin tarquin at planetunreal.com
Wed Oct 16 16:03:59 UTC 2002

We get a lot of junk new pages that say:

"Put your text for the new page here. Hello"
or
"Put your text for the new page here. Er, I don't know"
or
"Put your text for the new page here. What does this do"

These, to me, don't seem to be vandalism -- rather, someone who doesn't
yet know how a Wiki works has clicked a ghost link, is a little confused
when faced with a form and instead of just closing their browser window
they feel they must *do* something.

Could we make the text that appears in a new page form more helpful? eg:

"This article does not yet exist in Wikipedia. You can begin writing a
new article here, or just close the browser window" etc etc.

This might prevent a few junk entries, and save on housekeeping time. :)

- tarquin