[Intlwiki-l] Re: [Wikipedia-l] en.wikipedia.org vs www.wikipedia.org and the Wikipedia family

Karen AKA Kajikit kaji at labyrinth.net.au
Wed Oct 16 05:33:22 UTC 2002

lcrocker at nupedia.com wrote:

> >> I do, however, like the idea of representing languages with images
> >> of famous contributors in that language; this could be used in
> >> lots of places writing about Wikipedia.  I'd suggest Shakespeare,
> >> Hugo, Cervantes as the obvious English/French/Spanish ones.
> >> I don't know who would be appropriate for the others.
>
> >I don't like even this idea.  My reason is that I wouldn't know what
> >Hugo and Cervantes looked like if they were in my bathtub.  It's hard
> >to know what image could universally represent various languages, and
> >this is especially true for "smaller" languages.
>
> True, but you'd know your own, and I'm only suggesting that
> these be used as "decorative" illustrations rather than flags
> to /accompany/ plain text, not replace it.  And of course you're
> right that many would be very unobvious.

Why would we recognise the images even for our 'own' language? While I
certainly know who these people were, I wouldn't know their pictures
from a bar of soap! I think using 'talking heads' is a VERY bad idea...

--

Karen AKA Kajikit

To err is human... to really foul things up add kitten and stir.

Come and visit my part of the web:
Kajikit's Corner: http://Kajikit.netfirms.com/
Allergyfree Eating Recipe Swap: