[Wikipedia-l] Some answers with the "users'" point of view in mind.

rose.parks at att.net rose.parks at att.net
Tue Oct 15 23:30:22 UTC 2002

Hi Members,

     I am offering my opinion on two issues that have come up in the last few
days. I do so, trying to keep the user, or pure inquirer in mind, as well as,
the editors and authors.

     First, in regard to "redirect highlighting" proposed by Mr. Manske, I
think that a regular Wikipedia reader will find this quite disconcerting.
At most, I think it should be a logged-in user's choice.

     Second, in regard to the "first page" or "main page" contents, I think the
main page, as it is, is far too "busy" for the everyday user. They should be
looking for a choice of language and a place to put a search argument. I think
that is pretty much all that belongs there, in terms of content. This doesn't
mean the page cannot be attractive.

     I don't think either of these choices would be a big imposition to our
editors and authors.

     Again, just my opinion...

              As Ever,

                  Ruth Ifcher