[Wikipedia-l] Moving the wikis (en.wikipedia.org vs www.wikipedia.org/xx/)

Brion VIBBER brion at pobox.com
Tue Oct 15 20:16:42 UTC 2002

Daniel Mayer wrote:
> tarquin wrote:
>
>>At any rate, have we agreed on the move
>>from www. to en. ?
>
> I kinda like the idea of doing the reverse now; have
> all the language wikis at www.wikipedia.org via the
> syntax www.wikipedia.org/xx/ where xx is the language
> code. Brion is floating a similar idea over at the
> meta
> http://meta.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thoughts_on_language_integration
> . However his proposal leaves-out the www which I
> think is a mistake since www.foobar.org is universally
> recognized as an Internet address whereas forbar.org
> is not.

(anything).com is universally recognized as an internet address. Is .org
really so unknown? Never been to slashdot.org?

 > I like this idea because every language will
> then have the promotional benefit of being at the
> www.wikipedia.org address and no language is left at
> the rather odd looking, IMO, xx.wikipedia.org. This
> also improves the url for the English Wikipedia;
> instead of being at the redundant
> www.wikipedia.org/wiki/ it will be at the cleaner
> www.wikipedia.org/en/

Still got the redundant www. Www provides nothing that http:// doesn't,
and in today's webcentric Internet little that .com, .org, .de, .foobar
doesn't.

But, if everyone loves the wuh wuh wuh, I can't complain too much. Both
ways can be allowed whichever one is canonical.

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)