[Wikipedia-l] please don't allow subhead links

Daniel Mayer maveric149 at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 15 04:43:07 UTC 2002

On Monday 14 October 2002 06:16 pm, wikipedia-l-request at nupedia.com wrote:
> I don't see the "anchors are subpages" argument
> either. I'm reworking the FAQ, and I was wishing for
> anchors so that I could create a clickable index of
> questions. Spinning each individual question into a
> separate page is a bad idea.
>
> Stephen G.

They may not be subpages but they will most certainly lead to the creation of
needlessly long pages. There is nothing more intimidating to edit than a huge
page therefore we shouldn't encourage their creation.

What is wrong with the format I established for the Naming conventions page?
http://www.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Naming_conventions

I think having a title, very brief description and then a link to a more
complete description on a separate page is the best thing to do.

There is also the issue of people on dial-up modems and other people who use
browsers that can't edit large pages.

If a page is so long that it needs an index, then it should be broken-up into
more digestible pieces.

-- Daniel Mayer (aka mav)