[Wikipedia-l] please don't allow subhead links

Kurt Jansson jansson at gmx.net
Mon Oct 14 16:32:16 UTC 2002

> > I'm not sure how it would work, but I guess
> > something like [[The Simpsons::Bart]]  would work?
>
> How about [[The Simpsons/Bart]] ?

Thanks Gareth, you were faster then me with this answer. But I see that
Ed is also suggesting this anchor thing again.

We've had this discussion before, please take a look at
http://www.nupedia.com/pipermail/wikipedia-l/2002-July/002791.html
and all others titled "page fragment links" (and some of the "Numbered
section headings" may contain discussion about this, too).
http://www.nupedia.com/pipermail/wikipedia-l/2002-July/thread.html

I short: Anchors are subpages through the backdoor. If an article is so
long that it really needs anchors: split it! Shorten it and put the
delailed parts in their own articles.

We've hat some kind of compromise that an index function could be
implemented, that shows the headlines at the beginning of an article.

(This is mostly pasted from a mail on wikitech-l I wrote some weeks
ago.)

If we (hmm, I mean: the coders) decide to implemented the index function
and everybody is still unhappy, then we could think about anchors
*inside* an article (but I doubt that it's worth another tag).

BUT PLEASE: No anchors adressable from outside! There is nearly no
difference to subpages.

Thanks for listening :-)
Kurt