[Intlwiki-l] Re: [Wikipedia-l] en.wikipedia.org vs www.wikipedia.org and the Wikipedia family

Derek Ross derekross at fisheracre.freeserve.co.uk
Sun Oct 13 01:42:59 UTC 2002

----- Original Message -----
From: "Anthere" <anthere5 at yahoo.com>
To: <wikipedia-l at nupedia.com>
Sent: Sunday, October 13, 2002 2:19 AM
Subject: Re: [Intlwiki-l] Re: [Wikipedia-l] en.wikipedia.org vs
www.wikipedia.org and the Wikipedia family

> --- Gareth Owen <wiki at gwowen.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:
> > Anthere <anthere5 at yahoo.com> writes:
> >
> > > But, from a conceptual point of view, that is
> > certainly not a portal. That's
> > > an *english* main page, with links to other
> > languages.  Sorry, but I like
> > > words to be used in their context.
> >
> > What the hell *is* a portal (besides a internet
> > buzzword from about 1997)
>
> Is this type of question designed to make me sound as
> if I had absolutely no idea what I am talking about,
> or not worth listening because not using the best
> word, or designed to slow down any thinking process by
> drawing out a *detail*, or what ??
>
> If such is your concern, explain *yourself* what *you*
> think is a portal, or better, explain what should be
> www.wikipedia.org page to your opinion.

There's a good description of what makes a portal on the page
http://www.wikipedia.org/wiki/Web_portal.  We probably don't want to
implement all of the features mentioned in the article but then again we
should implement most of them if we are going to the length of calling
http://www.wikipedia.org it a portal.

Cheers

Derek