[Intlwiki-l] Re: [Wikipedia-l] en.wikipedia.org vs www.wikipedia.org and the Wikipedia family

Karen AKA Kajikit kaji at labyrinth.net.au
Sat Oct 12 23:46:25 UTC 2002

Lightning wrote:

> > Anthere <anthere5 at yahoo.com> writes:
> >
> > > But, from a conceptual point of view, that is certainly not a portal.
> That's
> > > an *english* main page, with links to other languages.  Sorry, but I
> like
> > > words to be used in their context.
> >
> > What the hell *is* a portal (besides a internet buzzword from about 1997)
>
> Can I suggest what many other sites have done?
> ok i thought so
>
> A map of the world, click on a certain region, it takes you to whatever
> language is spoken there...
>
> and below the map, text links to each language
> like this:
>
> -------------------------
> |
> |         MAP
> |
> -------------------------
> [Espanol|English|Deutch|Francais.........]
>
> _NO TEXT_ Except for the language Links.. this takes you to an introduction
> page in your language and yadda yadda yadda or wherever you want it to take
> you

If you're really concerned about language barriers that sounds like the
way to go. The problem with the flag thing is then you have people
squabbling about which flag should go next to the name, and why has
theirs been left out etc etc... nobody can argue with a world map! Can
they?

--

Karen AKA Kajikit

To err is human... to really foul things up add kitten and stir.

Come and visit my part of the web:
Kajikit's Corner: http://Kajikit.netfirms.com/
Allergyfree Eating Recipe Swap: