[Wikipedia-l] policy suggestion: don't create pages for everything

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Sat Oct 12 16:34:29 UTC 2002

Thesmelialichu at aol.com wrote:

>I see what you mean, I see no reason however for you to put a short line or
>two description of each winnie the pooh character on the main winnie the pooh
>page, and then leave a link to a page on each of them so someone can cover
>them in more detail.

I very much believe that Winnie the Pooh could be treated in a single
page.  Someone who wants to learn more about Winnie should have all the
basic information available on that page without having to click on
links to stubs.  Of the different character pages the one for
Christopher Robin is the only one to exceed 500 bytes in length.  The
main Winnie the Pooh page at 2470 bytes is still fairly modest in
length.  They should be recombined.

Although my numbers are fairly arbitrary, I would still favour as
general rules of thumb:
    1. Avoid creating dependent stub articles with fewer than 500 bytes.
    2. When considering whether to sub-divide an article
        a) Don't bother if it has fewer than 10,000 bytes,
        b) For articles between 10,000 and 20,000 bytes sub-divide if
there are reasonable place to sub-divide,
        c) Actively look for reasonable ways to sub-divide if the
article is more than 20,000 bytes long.

If the Winnie article were to exceed 10,000 bytes, a reasonable
sub-division might then involve splitting off [[Characters in Winnie the
Pooh]] as a block instead of separate articles for each.

Eclecticology