[Wikipedia-l] Re We started in January 2001...

Anthere anthere5 at yahoo.com
Sat Oct 12 17:39:46 UTC 2002

http://meta.wikipedia.org/wiki/What_to_do_with_www.wikipedia.org
> > If approved, this page will be hosted at
> www.wikipedia.org and the English
> > Wikipedia will be at en.wikipedia.org.
>
> This is exactly the incredibly bad idea I'm worried
> about. I can't really
> think of anything more ill-conceived.
Ok. So now we are on similar grounds. But what about
voicing why you think this ill-conceived ?
While I said yesterday why I thought it was not
necessary a bad idea from a technical point of view, I
had the following thoughts
The www.wikipedia.org is a very important address.
Must be used accordingly. What is important in
wikipedia (for users) is first of all *content*. Hence
it is maybe not best that this address is used for the
foundation, which should come far after contents.
The actual page as proposed is not containing any
content, just info about the concept of Wikipedia
(very important I agree nevertheless) and redirection
to other places.
What makes Wikipedia different from other
encyclopedias ?
*reactivity*. Because we do not rely on paper (bought
once in a lifetime) or peer review (hence delays in
publications), the power of wikipedia is that we can
come up with an actual subject very quickly.
So why wouldnot this "portal" page be, in particular,
a place where actualities are on the front ?
People would maybe put www.wikipedia.org as a place
(link) where to drop by very frequently to keep
updated with info probably less biaised than their
newspaper, and with much more background ! The news
wouldnot be as quickly there as in www.lemonde.fr but
within a couple of days is much much better than much
encyclos can do.
Then, why would not these links toward actual subjects
or background subject of actual issues, be in several
languages when available
Something like
Current events
* Israeli-Palestinian conflict (English) -- "title in
spanish" (spanish)
* John Walker Lindh (english) -- "title in japanese"
(japanese)
* Claus von Amsberg (English) -- Claus von Amsberg
(néerlandais)
* Bertrand Delanoë (français) -- Bertrand Delanoe
(English)
* Nobel Prize (English) -- Prix Nobels (français)
* Eldred v. Ashcroft (English)
* Jimmy Carter (English)
my excuses, I don't necessarily the translations for
each langages.
The idea is just to
* provide content
* put current events coverage or background in the
front, something other encyc can't offer
* made obvious several langages are available
* put each of these langages at the same level
* generate a little bit more of competition and
collaboration between each langage if they want to
have at least one page in their langage here
(just thinking here, I wrote these articles on Maurice
Papon and Bertrand Delanoë in english but didnot
really bothered to translate them in french :-)))
We could have something a bit equivalent with a couple
of brillant prose articles in each langage, these
changing from time to time...
just random thoughts
Anthere