[Wikipedia-l] Re: "We started in January 2001..."

Daniel Mayer maveric149 at yahoo.com
Sat Oct 12 05:37:32 UTC 2002

On Friday 11 October 2002 09:27 pm, Kpjas wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> "We started in January 2001 and are already working on 52607 articles (in
> the English version)..."
>
> Is there an easy way to change this sentence on the opening (main)
> page of www.wikipedia.org to reflect (even estimated) the total
> number of pages created by all Wikipedias ?

I'm sure this is possible but I'm also pretty sure the code for it hasn't been
written yet. This is a great idea BTW.

> This will be a small step towards making Wikipedia one unified project.
>
> Regards,
> Kpjas.

We are already working on a portal page for the whole project at Metapedia.
http://meta.wikipedia.org/wiki/What_to_do_with_www.wikipedia.org
If approved, this page will be hosted at www.wikipedia.org and the English
Wikipedia will be at en.wikipedia.org.

This is a lot better than trying to make the English Wikipedia Main Page also
be the Portal Page for the whole project. Under a couple of plans, the
welcome message on the portal page will also be translated into many
different languages in the same way as the Main Page for Metapedia is now
translated. This also requires a different character set than the one used by
the English Wikipedia - thus the English Wikipedia and the portal page needs
to be separate (at least I think this is the case - developers, would it be
possible to have a different character set for just one page in a wiki?).

{{NUMBEROFARTICLESALLLANGUAGES}},  {{NUMBEROFLANGUAGES}} and
{{NUMBEROFARTICLES-XX}} (where XX is a language code) would be very useful
things to have on a portal page for the whole project.

-- Daniel Mayer (aka mav)