[Wikipedia-l] en.wikipedia.org vs www.wikipedia.org and the Wikipedia family

The Cunctator cunctator at kband.com
Fri Oct 11 16:12:15 UTC 2002

On Fri, 2002-10-11 at 10:53, koyaanisqatsi at nupedia.com wrote:

> Aside from that, how would the move to en. be an inconvenience aside
> from having to log in?  And if having to log in is such an
> inconvenience, why do I have to log in every month anyway?  Given
> that we do have to log in every month or so, are you perhaps
> splitting hairs in calling the proposed move an inconvenience?

Just for example, that one inconvenience is a major thing. I'd say it
should be removed 1) ASAP and 2) before we consider doing more
url-redirecting.

What removal means is consolidating the userspaces so that cookies can
point to .wikipedia.org instead of xxx.wikipedia.org.

Doing so has many, many benefits for the long-term health and viability
of the project.