[Wikipedia-l] en.wikipedia.org vs www.wikipedia.org and the Wikipedia family

koyaanisqatsi at nupedia.com koyaanisqatsi at nupedia.com
Fri Oct 11 15:07:44 UTC 2002

You Wrote:
>koyaanisqatsi at nupedia.com writes:
>
>> Aside from that, how would the move to en. be an inconvenience aside from
>> having to log in?
>
>Link rot

Google and others can reindex, right?  I believe they just did that a few weeks ago.

I *do* think it's best to move because I think also that the other wikipedias regard it as an important issue.  Our opinion about whether it ought to be an important issue really doesn't matter, unless we want to tell them that we don't care what they think; and if we want to tell them that, then we might as well say directly "fork off, we don't need you."  We do need them, of course, and want them to stay.  So.  As far as I can see, the question is whether to move now, when we have 56k articles, or next year, when we have 156k.

Perhaps we could move and for a period of a few months or so, have all redirected articles from www. to en. give an automatic message suggesting that the bookmark be changed.  After that maybe www. could be for the portal, and links to former article locations could suggest a link but carry it through.

I'm not a programmer so I don't know if this is feasible or if it will be too much of a burden on the server.

kq