[Wikipedia-l] Moving the English Wikipedia to en.wikipedia.org

Jimmy Wales jwales at bomis.com
Fri Oct 11 11:29:50 UTC 2002

lcrocker at nupedia.com wrote:
> I really hate saying this, but, um, I'm with Cunc here.
> I also think it's a really bad idea to have www.wikipedia.org
> be anything but the most direct route to the front page of
> the English Wikipedia. Like it or not, that's where the
> action is.  As long as the front page continues to have links
> to the foreign wikis, I see no need to waste the time of 90%
> of our users with a pointless "intro" page.

I agree with this, but what do you think of having all the articles at
_both_ en.wikipedia.org and www.wikipedia.org, with us subtly promoting
the latter by hardlinks?

The main reason that I have for supporting this is diplomacy.  We
don't want people working in other languages to feel that English has
unfairly co-opted the privileged 'www' namespace.

My proposal would allow all languages to be on equal footing.  You can set
any individual homepage to be your personal homepage at www, and links under
that lead to your language, like en.wikipedia.org, fr.wikipedia.org, etc.

--Jimbo