[Wikipedia-l] Moving the English Wikipedia to en.wikipedia.org

Anthere anthere5 at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 10 23:06:27 UTC 2002

--- The Cunctator <cunctator at kband.com> wrote:
> On 10/10/02 2:42 PM, "The Cunctator"
> <cunctator at kband.com> wrote:
>
> > A big question that we are in the process of
> resolving now is whether we
> > want to think of Wikipedia as a single project
> that has multiple
> > translations, or as a bunch of largely independent
> projects specific to
> > particular nations and language sets. I think the
> first conception is
> > healthier and more productive over the long term.
> We really should think
> > about this issue before we take broad actions that
> touch upon it.

It is true that from a strict efficiency point of
view, the goal of a comprenhensive and neutral
encyclopedia would benefit from dealing with issues in
only one central article with as many actors as
possible debating/working together rather than several
different articles with only a couple of persons in
each place, even though they are updating their own
articles from the other wikis.