[Wikipedia-l] en.wikipedia.org vs www.wikipedia.org and the Wikipedia family

The Cunctator cunctator at kband.com
Thu Oct 10 23:01:20 UTC 2002

On 10/10/02 6:41 PM, "Daniel Mayer" <maveric149 at yahoo.com> wrote:
<snip>
> Granted the English Wikipedia is the oldest
> and largest but it shouldn't be vaulted as /The Main/
> Wikipedia with the other languages relegated to second
> class status in The Main WIkipedia's shadow.

By the same token, the English-lang Wikipedia is the oldest and largest (by
far), and it shouldn't be shoved around simply for the sake of political
correctness.

> The Main
> Wikipedia is the /whole/ project which includes all
> languages not just one, no?

I agree that the Wikipedia project includes all languages. Whether changing
www.wikipedia.org to a portal page is a good idea is a different question.

> I furthermore don't see a
> move as Balkanization when we will soon all be on the
> same software, all use the same Metapedia and all have
> interlanguage links going back and forth from all the
> different languages. I now will often take info from
> articles in other languages to update their English
> counterparts and I also see the reverse being done by
> non-English Wikipedias.

All those things are exactly what I agree with.

> www.wikipedia.org should be
> home for the Foundation and a portal to each of the
> different language sub-projects as I stated in my
> click away from the portal and so would all the other
> wikipedias. This is only fair.

Fairness is a very squishy issue. Is it only fair that states with
populations of 600,000 get the same number of Senators as states with
populations of 35,000,000?

It would be a poor idea for www.wikipedia.org become the foundation url.

It should have its own url, much as gnu.org and fsf.org are separately
named.