[Wikipedia-l] Moving the English Wikipedia to en.wikipedia.org

Anthere anthere5 at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 10 22:42:26 UTC 2002

> Let me clarify the above statement: by "a single
> project that has multiple
> translations" I don't mean "English + translations
> into other languages" I
> mean "a single language-neutral encyclopedia with
> entries in all different
> languages, with the goal that every entry exist in
> every language". That is,
> I think we should think of the entries in English as
> being translations of
> the French entries, and the Polish entries, and vice
> versa.
>
> Ideally, if an entry exists in one language but not
> another, such as "racine
> Grecque"
> (http://fr.wikipedia.com/wiki.cgi?Racine_Grecque) a
> link to the
> unwritten [[Greek root]] should pull up a result
> that indicates that there's
> a version of the entry in French.

ah, you ring a bell here. I several times felt the
consuming desire just to create an empty page (or an
*horrible* stub) in english, just to link a french
page that existed.

Sorry for those who don't like stubs, but *this* issue
is just a call for stubs. Or, we need to find another
way to indicate links from a empty link.

Well, we have not used all the color of the rainbow
yet. Say, when a page doesnot exist in english, but
exist in polish, the link in the english page to the
non existing page is purple instead of red, and when
you click on it, you get an nearly empty page with "no
article available yet" and "this page is available in
[[polish]]" (in the page).
+ link to the polish page.

As long as only an "official" stub is available, this
message could stay for any other langage available.
Once the article is nice enough not to be a stub
anymore, the automatic message is removed
automatically, and the link is just available as a
[[pl:]]

On the polish side, there could be an option somewhere
allowing to propose the link to other wikis. Once the
article is thought really good, polish people could
propose it to intern linkage. If the page in french
exist, the link is a [[pl:]] at the top, if the page
in english doesnot exist, the link is in the page with
the message.

Is this understandable ?