[Wikipedia-l] Re: Metapedia

Daniel Mayer maveric149 at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 10 20:26:29 UTC 2002

>This was probably mentioned before,
>but why don't we just change
>"meta.wikipedia.org"
>to "www.wikipedia.org"? We could
>adapt the main page accordingly, and
>move the current meta main page to
>something like "assorted diskussion".
>That way, we won't have but a single
>page at www.wikipedia.org, but all the
>(international) discussion about it.
>
>Magnus

But then where does the Wikipedia Foundation go?
Metapedia is a completely different animal than any of
the Wikipedia encyclopedias with totally different
rules (thus the light gray background was added to
emphasize this difference). It would be most odd to
land on www.wikipedia.org, hit Recent Changes and see
random discussion and POV essays. That's not our
primary mission here. If anything www.wikipedia.org
should eventually be where we have a wiki for the
Foundation and have that Recent Changes by default
display Recent Changes for all edits made in each
Wikipedia encyclopedia (along with the occassional
edit or translation for a Foundation page). Granted,
that would mean a near static wiki at
www.wikipedia.org but how often are we really going to
be changing the by-laws and constitution (GNU.org
hasn't made many changes to their text for a very long
time)? The main function of the wiki at
www.wikipedia.org is to give a broad overview of the
whole project and the Foundation and also be a gateway
to each of the wikipedia encyclopedias and display all
edits in all languages.

-- Daniel Mayer (aka mav)

PS
It might also be neat to automatically detect the
language a person's browser is using and display all
links and text at www.wikipedia.org in the same
language as the browser (with the ability to turn this
off if needed). We are already going to have to
translate all Foundation pages and localized Main
Pages in several different languages. Therefore a user
with a French browser will be greeted by an uber Main
Page/Portal at www.wikipedia.org that is in French.
All the links will be in French and all the Foundation
pages that have French translations will be in French.
Just some thoughts.