[Wikipedia-l] Re: CE / BCE (was: RFC on a few feature requests)

Jeroen Heijmans j.heijmans at stud.tue.nl
Wed Oct 9 18:40:13 UTC 2002

>What *is* our convention on BC / BCE and AD / CE?
>
>On the en: wiki, the year, century, etc pages are called "BC", but I
>think a majority of articles use "BCE".
>I bumped into an article specifically about the naming system, which
>states that "BCE" and "CE" are now preferred, in general.
>
>perhaps we should take our own advice?

I think we should give preference to the BC/AD system. Before I found
Wikipedia, I had never heard of the other convention, and I think BC/AD
is still the most used and best known system - the best reason for
preferring it over the other. However, that should be for the article
titles, I think we should be free to use it in text if somebody wants
to, just like we don't prefer US English over British.

Jeronimo