[Wikipedia-l] RFC on a few feature requests

Jimmy Wales jwales at bomis.com
Wed Oct 9 17:43:04 UTC 2002

Anthere wrote:
> Mulot was banned for a week because she tried to
> propose another angle of view, an historical timeline,
> that could enrich the wiki.

Who did the ban?

> Another user was banned
> along because he "made the mistake" to state of few
> truths.

Well, this is a bit vague, but I'm listening.  This doesn't sound like
a good reason to ban someone.

> I have no problem with your decision of being the only
> one with the right to ban logged-in user, but

Well, that's not exactly what I've said.  :-) I think that being
logged in or not logged in is really not important.  What's important
is that none of us (even me) ban anyone for anything other than
outright vandalism, without a long discussion first.  And after that
discussion, it falls on me to make a final decision.

> - people can still delete pages of those they don't
> agree with, instead of talking

This is by using a destructive delete?  No one is supposed to use a
destructive delete in an argument.  If they blank the page, well,
that's rude, but the other person can restore it from the history.
Episodes like this are unpleasant, but tend to end fairly quickly, and
both sides are "equal" in the fight.

> - I forecast threats of forking again, when french
> will know about that

I don't think there will be a fork.

It seems that fr.wikipedia.com is still on the Usemod software.  So I
could take away sysop privileges by changing the password.  I won't do
that right now, but I do not think that people should be banned for the
things you have mentioned.

But, I have only so far heard your side of the story.

--Jimbo