[Wikipedia-l] Re: RFC on a few feature requests

Jeroen Heijmans j.heijmans at stud.tue.nl
Wed Oct 9 13:50:34 UTC 2002

Brion Vibber wrote;

>* "Most wanted" and "Most popular" special pages list the _total_ number
>of links to a page, regardless of how many links there are _per page_.
>Some types of lists can hyperinflate the numbers; a list of video games
>might link [[Playstation]] 389 times (once for each Playstation game
>listed). The behavior that people seem to expect is a count of _pages_
>that link, rather than the raw number of links. I would tend to agree.
>This can be switched by the simple addition of "DISTINCT" to a couple
>SQL queries; is there any reason to retain the current behavior?

A change would be better - or at least have the number of distinct pages
mentioned when using the current method.

>* The administrative page rename feature on UseMod could optionally find
>and change links to point to the new name in addition to just supplying
>a redirect. We still haven't implemented this. Desirable?

Yes and no. In many cases (with subpages, f.e.), it would probably make
things a lot cleaner. But there are cases when this is not desirable.
Maybe it could be an optional feature?

Jeronimo