[Wikipedia-l] RFC on a few feature requests

Poor, Edmund W Edmund.W.Poor at abc.com
Wed Oct 9 13:25:21 UTC 2002

I agree with Brion's suggestions for:
* count total number of _pages_ (for "most wanted", "most popular") rather than links.
* namespace localization (yes, give the non-English Wikipedians whatever goodies they need!!)

I'm not sure about page rename:
* I like the prospect of eliminating a chain of redirects: Foo links to A, which redirects to B, which redirects to C. If Foo should link to C, then the new feature would eliminate two extra links -- Foo would link directly to C without any intervening redirects.
* But what about the look of the link? If I link to [[Hamlet (2000 film)]] and Mav renames the target article to "Hamlet (2000 movie)" -- then what happens to my link? Does it become [[Hamlet (2000 movie)]]?

I'm not sure about blocking.
*We must make sure we don't inappropriately block valid, logged-in users. (Just yesterday, I accidentally blocked a _valid_, anonymous user who was helping clean up the damage caused by an anonymous _vandal_; I apologized, of course, and will be more careful in the future.) Would this feature change help prevent such mistakes?
*Jimbo had said that he reserves the right to ban logged-in users. Perhaps he meant only people antagonizing others with historical revisionism or personal remarks -- not kids who replace entire articles with the word "kool" -- but I'd like to see a clarification from him.

Ed Poor