[Wikipedia-l] The Wikpedia family and the Spanish reunification effort)

The Cunctator cunctator at kband.com
Mon Oct 7 16:00:13 UTC 2002

At the same time, I want to point out that having one Wikipedia be the
default one (e.g. www.wikipedia.org goes to a particular (the English
language, in this case) Wikipedia) has real benefits for the goals of
the project.

In short, we want to avoid balkanization of wikipedia. We need French,
Spanish, Chinese, Madagascaran nationals working on the English-language
Wikipedia if we want to head toward an overall NPOV.

There's a reason that science, diplomacy, and academia always
consolidate around a particular language (Latin -> French -> English).
It's because those disciplines need a pool of neutrality that's as large
as possible.

It's not better for the project if everyone just sticks to their native
language.

Just trying to keep things in perspective,
tc