[Wikipedia-l] Re: [Intlwiki-l] Spanish reunification effort

tarquin tarquin at planetunreal.com
Sat Oct 5 10:44:23 UTC 2002

Anthere wrote:

>What about countries where several langage are spoken,
>would it be a good idea that they have 5 times their
>flag on this page ?
>
>Would not be too many flags quite heavy in terms of
>
>Why putting in the front countries ??? langages are
>important, not countries.

Indeed, we'd need dozens of flags for EN:, and plenty of flags would end
up on several languages ... too complicated!

I think all that text is too much. newcomers are going to think "what is
all this?". Besides, the introduction & explanation of the project is
already on the language-specific main pages.

I suggest a very simple, minimal page:

"Wikipedia" at the top, large font, centred.

then a list (maybe 2-3 columns) of links that just say:

Wikipedia: the free encyclopedia (English)
Wikipedia: l'encyclopedie libre (francais)
Vikipedio: .... (Esperanto)
Huiquipedia: Enciclopedia Libre Universal (Español)

etc

it's simple, it's clean, and people can easily find their language and
follow for more information.
I can do an HTML mockup to show better what I mean.