[Wikipedia-l] NPOV and the israeli-palestinian conflict

elian elian at gmx.li
Fri Oct 4 14:50:26 UTC 2002

"Poor, Edmund W" <Edmund.W.Poor at abc.com> writes:

> Thank you, Elian. That was very well put. As one of those who have
> contributed to the pro-Israeli bias, I must apologize.

First of all, thank you for this reaction. I expected flames and
everything else, but not this, so I am completely surprised :-)

> I also find the pages you mention very one-sided. I don't know enough
> about the situation to fix it myself.

There's a simple answer: read as much of the conflict as you can get hold
of. Read personal memories and autobiographies from both sides, read about
the enthusiasm and the hard efforts of the Jewish people building the
state Israel and their fear of "being driven into the sea" by the Arab
states, but read also about the Palestinians living in the Westbank
under military law, with no political freedom, no right to vote. I'd like
to recommend you the autobiography of Sumaya Farhat-Naser, a peace
activist, but I think there is no english translation. Read
the book of Morris about the Palestinian refugees.

Imagine yourself living under all of these conditions. Think about
everything and then start writing.

> If there is anything I can do to help you to fix these pages, please let
> me know. I offer my editing services to you.

gratefully accepted :-)
I put up a list of articles which need IMHO minor or major modifications,
plus a proposal for points to pay attention to when editing articles about
the conflict.

http://www.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Elian
http://www.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Elian/Proposal

If you could help to oversee the articles and modify them, this would be
very nice. I'd also appreciate help in formulating the
neutralizing-guidelines.

greetings,
elian